Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dare 18: Tough Love

Do not withhold discipline from a child... Proverbs 23:13

This past week I was pegged as "the mean teacher" because I caught several of my students plagiarizing and they (as promised) received zeroes on a very large assignment.  I was very, very upset, angry, disappointed, etc. with my students, and I'm sure I came across more strict than I typically do, but I wanted them to understand the consequences for their actions and that it was in no way okay.  

Even though I can honestly say (and only after a few years of teaching under my belt) that I truly don't mind if I have a student that doesn't like me-- I mean, its bound to happen.  But it still really bothered me that I was the "mean teacher" when I had not been the one in the wrong.  Of course, that's typically how it goes, especially when you teach middle schoolers :)

I really had to convince myself that I wasn't in the wrong.  That their actions required a consequence.  And the consequence was known and out on the table before they decided to follow through with their behavior.  

It is good to discipline your students.  They need it.  Of course, there are lines that I'm not going to attempt to draw here between discipline and punishment that need to be taken into consideration.  But my heart's desire in disciplining my students is not for them to be in trouble, its for them to learn from their mistakes and move forward.  

So, this week I want you to think about how you give tough love.  Is it really tough love or are you just frustrated and angry?  I'm sure many of you do this already, but consider explaining the process of tough love to your kiddos... tell them the why behind the consequence.  Sometimes it is easy to get wrapped up in the business of the day and I know students receive consequences in my classroom without me ever taking them aside and explaining my reasoning behind it.  


Have a blessed week.  Love you. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment