Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dare 17: Love is Satisfied with God

I almost decided not to post this week.  This past week has been incredibly draining emotionally as we said goodbye to dear friend who lived an incredibly beautiful life and went to see his Maker what seems like much too soon for those of us still here.  I will admit that this past week my mind was not focused on school or my students like it normally is and my heart was going out to my dear friends and seemed to stay there and ache a while.  For the past two hours I've been sitting on my couch looking over students' writing that for the most part is far less than perfect and wondering quietly what it is I'm doing here.  I'm frustrated that my kids still don't seem to know where to put a period or a capital letter and are in 7th grade.  I'm out of ways to teach them how to put a comma in a compound sentence.  I don't understand why putting quotations around what someone says out loud is so hard.  I'm frustrated.  I'm worn out.  

I decided I needed a break from looking at their work and should go ahead and write the dare.  (Even though, honestly, my heart doesn't feel like loving them right now.  Hopefully you don't think I'm awful for saying that--just trying to be real here.)  The next dare on the list is "Love is Satisfied with God."  The theme verse comes from Isaiah 58:11, "The Lord will continually guide you and satisfy your desire."  (Ironically the printed text put a comma in that sentence- which would make it an incorrectly punctuated compound sentence, haha.)   
The book says, "He alone can satisify, even when all else fails you."  
Thank you, God. 
I feel like my students are failing me and my frustration with them makes me feel like I'm failing them.  But GOD SATISFIES.  "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).  
Does that mean that I don't feel frustrated with my kids anymore?  No. But it does mean that thirty minutes ago I was feeling like a complete failure as a teacher and then God lead me here. 
"In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled... I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:12-13).  
There are needs in your life that only God can fully satisfy.  "My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).  
The needs of love, peace, and adequacy are real.  Thank you, Jesus that you fill those needs.  
When we are seeking Him first, loving Him first, making our relationship with Him top priority, He promises to supply us with what we really need--which, actually, is all it really takes to satisfy us. 

God is your everyday supply.  Of everything you need. 

My heart still hurts.  And I'm still frustrated.  BUT God is good.  He's good all the time.  And He is my adequacy and He will lead me.  


And ironically, a dear teacher friend just sent me a text of encouragement about my students.  


I hope you are filled to the brim with HIS love and HIS peace. Let him satisfy your needs.  

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment